Friday, 7 April 2017

Professional Engineer: How to Get Title Ir. ?

Sekarang ni setiap bulan aku akan buat countdown. Countdown apa? Countdown untuk aku habiskan zaman tunggang langgang aku ni la. 

So, tinggal 3 bulan je lagi aku akan habis Degree and then bermula la zaman bekerja semula untuk aku. Harap-harap ada rezeki untuk aku bekerja dalam design team sebab memang da lama aku aim untuk dapatkan title Ir.

Professional Engineer: How to Get Title Ir. ?

Ir. tu apa? Ir. adalah singkatan kepada perkataan Ingenieur iaitu title yang paling tinggi dalam bidang kejuruteraan ataupun jurutera yang bertauliah, professional engineer yang diiktiraf oleh Board of Engineers Malaysia (BEM). 

Bila aku da set target untuk dapatkan gelaran Ir. kat depan nama aku maksudnya banyak benda yang aku kena buat dari sekarang ni. Tak boleh nak relax-relax sangat. 

Lepas graduate nanti banyak perkara yang aku kena make sure everything yang aku buat must follow the guidelines kat bawah ni so that the goal is achievable.

So, macam mana nak dapatkan title Ir. ni korang boleh follow steps yang aku ambil dari blog Ir Nurul Huda Ederus ni.

Any candidate who applies for registration as a Professional Engineer must:

  1. Be registered as a Graduate Engineer with BEM (Board of Engineer Malaysia); and
  2. Have satisfied the training requirements of BEM; and
  3. Have passed the Professional Assessment Examination (PAE) of BEM or be elected as a Corporate Member of the Institution of Engineers Malaysia (IEM); and
  4. Have been residing in Malaysia for a period of not less than six months immediately prior to the date of application.


  1. Application shall be made in Form B1.
  2. On approval of the application, the candidate is required to pay a registration fee of RM350.00 within two months of the date of notification of such approval.
  3. On payment of the registration fee, a certificate of registration in Form D1 will be issued.

There are two ways to become a professional engineer in Malaysia:

a) Through BEM ===> By sitting for their PAE (Professional Assessment Examination)

- In order to be able to sit for their PAE you MUST have a minimum of 3 years of working experience.

- Your 3 years of working experience ONLY STARTS counting after you have registered with the BEM.

- Eg. In the year 2009 you have been effectively working for 10 years but you have registered with the BEM only in 2008. That means you only
have 1 year of working experience in their clock. Therefore, all fresh graduates please register with the BEM ASAP after your graduation. It is
supposed to be illegal for you to work in the capacity of an engineer without a registration with the BEM.

- The second requirement before you can sit for their PAE is to complete 60 hours of BEM mandatory courses known as the PDP (Professional
Development Programme). PS: My abbreviation for PDP may be wrong.

- Once you have sat and passed the PAE you will gain your P.Eng and hence, entitled to use the title Ir.
Eg. Ir. Dr. Nurul Huda Binti Ederus B.Eng(Hons), Phd (Mech), P.Eng

b) Through IEM ===> By sitting for their PI (Professional Interview)

- Before even talking about the PI, a fresh graduate is encouraged to register with the IEM as a graduate engineer. Once you have registered with
the IEM as a graduate engineer, you are entitled to the title Engr. As simple as that.
Eg. Engr. Dr. Nurul Huda Binti EderusB.Eng(Hons), Phd (Mech), GM.I.E.M

- Once you are a graduate member, you can then proceed on to become their corporate member which consists of the bulk of the IEM membership.
Note: It is not mandatory to become a graduate member first before becoming a corporate member.

- In order to become a corporate member, you have to first sit for the PI.
Note: The PAE by BEM is EXACTLY the same as the PI by IEM. In fact the PAE is run by the same people that organizes the PI.

- In order to be able to sit for the PI, applicants SHOULD have at least a minimum of 3 years of working experience. It will be virtually
impossible to pass the PI if you have less than 3 years of working experience since you will most probably have insufficient materials to be put in your report.

Note: It is not necessary to become a graduate member first before you can sit for the PI and there is no IEM clock that counts your working
experience. If you have been working for 10 years, you will then have 10 years of working experience as far as IEM is concerned.

- Once you have sat and passed the PI, you are entitled to use the title Engr. (Same title as the graduate engineer)
Eg. Engr. Dr. Nurul Huda Binti EderusB.Eng(Hons), Phd (Mech), M.I.E.M

- Once you have your Engr. (M.I.E.M) you can then proceed to top up with the Ir (P.Eng) from BEM. There are two scenarios:

===> If you have not registered with the BEM, go register with them and wait three years before getting your P.Eng. You must also complete the
60 hours of BEM mandatory courses known as the PDP.

===> If you have registered with the BEM and have three years of woking experience according to their clock, you can get your P.Eng.
immediately. You must also complete the 60 hours of BEM mandatory courses known as the PDP.

Once scenario 1 and 2 are covered, you will have the privillege to use the titles:
Eg. Ir. Dr. Nurul Huda Binti Ederus B.Eng(Hons), Phd (Mech), P.Eng, M.I.E.M ===> Normally people will use Ir. only if they have both the
Ir. and Engr.


1) If you have to approve or/and submit layouts/designs to the approving authortity, P.Eng is mandatory. But if you are working in the manufacturing sector for instance, you can opt just for the M.I.E.M. Getting either/both the P.Eng or the M.I.E.M is a great personal satisfaction if you ask me and they look absolutely fabulous on your resume smile.gif .

2) Once you get your P.Eng from BEM, you will have to renew your "license" every year in order to be able to continue to use the title Ir. Before you can renew your license, you must complete 40 hours (I may be wrong) of CPD (Continuous Professional Development).

3) Feel free to add/correct my points as necessary.


  1. A registered Graduate Engineer is required under Section 10(1)(b) of the Act to obtain practical experience in order to be entitled to sit for the Professional Assessment Examination (PAE) which is a prerequisite to apply for registration as a Professional Engineer.
  2. The candidate shall carry out the practical experience in the following manner as prescribed in Regulation 22(1) of the Registration of Engineers Regulations 1990:
  3. The practical experience that a registered Graduate Engineer is required to obtain under section 10 (1) (b) of the Act in order to be entitled to apply for registration as a Professional Engineer shall be carried out in a manner satisfactory to the Board for a period of three years ?
  • in the planning, design, execution or management of such works as comprised within the profession of engineering;
  • in engineering research; or
  • in the teaching in a course leading to a qualification in engineering research; or in the teaching in a course leading to a qualification approved by the Board, and at least one Year of such practical experience shall be obtained in Malaysia under the supervision of a registered Profession Engineer of the same discipline or an approved allied discipline and shall be in fields of engineering practice other than in research or teaching.
  • This period of training in a local environment is greatly emphasized by BEM as it is of paramount importance for the prospective Professional Engineers to be familiar with the local conditions and by - laws so that they can comply and practise effectively in Malaysia.

4. Notwithstanding the above, regulation 22(2) stipulates that if the Board is satisfied for sufficient cause or reason, the Board may in any particular case exempt either wholly or partly the requirements as to the practical experience required to be obtained in Malaysia or the requirement as to the supervision by a registered Professional Engineer in Malaysia; provided that the total practical experience to be obtained shall not be less than three years.
5. Where there is no Professional Engineer of the same or allied discipline as the candidate in the organisation in which the candidate is working, he may seek the approval from BEM to obtain a Professional Engineer from outside his organisation to supervise his training.

6. After the candidate has completed the required prescribed training, he may apply to sit for the Professional Assessment Examination conducted by BEM. 

What're the PROs & CONs as PE ?

If you are good and fit engineer, you shall progress yourself to PE status. NO QUESTION on PROs and CONs. You should not give yourself a choice because you called yourself ENGINEER.

Read more about "ENGINEER" -

I guess the PROs would be...

i) Continuing development...this is part of life regardless of engineer or other profession
ii) Practicing engineer oversea...It may be a "passport" to obtain PE status in other country...
iii) Job requirement...e.g. LEAD PROCESS ENGINEER in an OIL & GAS project required Professional engineer. Now PREFERABLE still keeps in the spec...I believe it will be removed soon. (and become MANDATORY)
iv) Promotion...(iii) set one of the requirement for promotion to Senior, lead, principal, management establish company like SHELL, TECHNIP, etc.
Others would be gain extra respect, self satisfaction, role model, etc...which is more individual related...

You may think this is "CON" (infact it should be PRO...)

If you have acquired your PE status, your SHALL fulfill the Continuing Professional Development (CPD) e.g. maintain accumulating 50 CPD hours per year on average over 3 years...

Why should i register to BEM if i practising engineering in MALAYSIA ?

First and the essential step is if your are practising engineering in any aspect, it is mandatory to register yourself as Graduates engineer to BEM. This is govern by ACT !
I know many practising engineers ignore this...PLEASE register yourself to BEM as Graduate engineer. Otherwise you are ILLEGAL workforce !!!

BEM ? IEM ??

BEM is government body
- authority to ensure all practising engineer in compliance to MALAYSIA's LAW in engineering related. Once you are certified by BEM, you are Professional Engineer (PE) and you can apply Ir. in front of you name i.e. PhD holder with title of Dr.

IEM is professional body
- a body promote professionalism and encourage continuous learning. Provide professional opinion to BEM whenever required. NO authority at all in legal terms. Once you are approved by IEM as member, you are Corporate member of IEM and you can apply ENGR at the end or below you name.

Authority organization (BE, UK ?) in UK...(those who know, please furnish here)
- Similar to related stuff. Once you are certified, you are PE.

IChemE - Professional body similar to formal IJKM (Institute Jurutera Kimia Malaysia) or MIEM (not 100%)
- works on promoting professionalism. Once you are approved, you are Chartered Engineer, CE if not mistaken


1 more info ,A good n fit engineer can get 5 figure(per month) income.Being a PE would be a "guideline" to other who don't know u. But, this does not mean a PE is always a good engineer.


Post a comment